Board Meeting Minutes, September 2021
Meeting date: September 14, 2021
6pm, Lawrence Beer Company They have a great room for this meeting, it was $2 beer night and the brussels sprouts were amazing as always.
In attendace: Cara Combs, Jordan Shrack, Mike Miley, Megan Moriarty, Josh McVey, Todd Chandler, Mary Ann Frevert, Dezert Armer
Follow up from Birthday Fatass. Need to send $200 check to Trails Council.
- Was there anything that could have been done to avoid all of the
DNFs? Probably not, it simply was way too hot.
- Cara provided some
data points regarding drop rate, temps of past races.
- All aid stations had plenty of ice, water, and food throughout the
- Potential causes for high drop rate: temperature, lack of
races for last two years, trails are more technical, lack of time on
trails due to summer weather, low number of runners due to COVID cap.
- Could possibly move the race back a few weeks to decrease the odds of
a hot day.
- Ami proposed funding a new water bottle station at the
trailhead that the Corps of Engineers have been working on. “Kindness
to life and land requires hydration”
- Approved $50 for FaceBook ads
- Currently 12 runners registered
$ for Haus of McCoy
- Last year for Sherrie to RD, Todd will shadow her this year to help
retain and pass along her system/knowledge. He will RD it in 2022.
NEW RACE PROPOSED - CACTUS ROULETTE
- February 19-20
- 24/12/6 Hour (noon Saturday to noon Sunday)
will run one of 3 loops (Cactus Ridge, Bunker Hill, or Swim Beach
loop) depending on the spin of the roulette wheel. Spin the wheel
after each loop, run as many spins as you can for your allotted time.
- Need to build a bench of future RDs for Sanders, The Snake, Cactus
- Without grooming a potential new RD, eventually the RD
gets tired of the work and stops, and the race dies.
- The “voluntold”
method seems more effective than asking for volunteers. Build a list
of potential recruits.
- Review TH instructions for RDing document.
Review other resources, Joe’s Rules: The Art of Trail Race Directing
by Joe Prusaitis and Chris Haley. Capture experience from existing
- Things are still too unstable (COVID) to plan out a year’s calendar.
- Discussed creating a wagering system to benefit charity’s (I bet $200
I run this many races, if I fail, I’ll donate $??? to charity).
- Attendance has been low for Wednesday and Saturdays.
- Need to make some updates to info on website about
- Posted Eric’s guide to on snakes.
- Will post Ami’s post race email as
- Share Justin’s youtube video from the Hawk on the website.
Next Meeting Tuesday, Oct 19, 2021
6 pm Lawrence Beer Company