Cactus Roulette is a duration trail race with 4 time options - 24 hours, 12 hour pm (Owl), 12 hour am (Lark), and 6 hours. There are three different loops ranging from 2.6 to 3.8 miles. Prior to each loop, runners will spin a roulette wheel to determine which loop they run next.
Base camp for the race will be at Group Camp 3 at Clinton Lake State Park in Lawrence, Kansas. Each loop will begin and end at base camp. There will be food, water, porta potties, heaters, and access to personal drop bags.
Official Runner's Guide
- Race date:
- January 29, 2022
- Start time:
- 09:00 AM
- Race distance:
- Every starter for every time option will receive a completion award - no DNFs.
- There will be hand-crafted artisanal awards for first, second, and third place female and male finishers for all 4 time options.
- First place female and male finishers (runners who run the farthest distance in their time block) will win free entry for the Cactus Roulette in 2023. Additionally, first place 24 hour finishers, both female and male, will receive a cash award of $250 (must complete a minimum of 100 miles to receive).
- 24 hour runners who complete 100 or more miles will receive custom belt buckles with their exact mileage that will be mailed to them after the race.
- Custom SWAG will be given to starters in each time option.
- Photos provided by Mile 90.
- All three loops will be run counter-clockwise for the duration of the event.
- Each loop will be color-coded to match the roulette wheel.
- There will be three separate starting mats, one for each loop. Runners will cross their specific starting mat at the beginning of each loop.
- SWIM BEACH (Blue) Technical trail on blue and white trails. 3.8 miles with 334 ft of elevation.
- CACTUS RIDGE (Green) Technical trail on the north side of West Park Road (N 1415 Rd). 2.9 miles with 212 ft of elevation.
- BUNKER HILL (Red) Cross-country field conditions with two steep climbs. 2.6 miles with 125 ft of elevation.
- Live results will be posted on monitors at base camp.
Schedule of Events
9 am - 11 am packet pick up all race distances
Noon - 24 hour and 12 hour Owl start
9 pm - 11 pm packet pick up for 12 hour Lark
Midnight - 12 hour Owl finish, 12 hour Lark start
2 am - Pacers allowed to join 24 hour runners
4 am - 5:30 am 6 hour packet pick up
6 am - 6 hour start
Noon - 24 hour, 12 hour Lark, and 6 hour finish
12:30pm - presentation of awards
- The finish line closes promptly at noon on Sunday 2/20 (midnight for 12 hour Owl). For a loop to count you must have crossed the finish line before that time. No partial loops are given.
- PACERS - 24 hour runners will be allowed one pacer at a time starting at 2 am on Sunday. No pacers allowed for 6 and 12 hour runners.
- RACE CANCELLATION OR POSTPONEMENT In the event the race should be postponed or canceled for reasons beyond the control of the Lawrence Trail Hawks (inclement or unsafe weather conditions; local, state or national emergency), refunds will NOT be made, but race packets, including race shirts, will be available at a location to be determined or possibly, though but not guaranteed, by mail.
- ALTERNATE COURSE If local authorities, Clinton State Park and the Kansas Trails Council trail steward, deem the trails unsafe for runners or vulnerable to damage due to muddy conditions, an alternative course will be provided by the Lawrence Trail Hawks race Directors, pending approval by Clinton State Park and the Kansas Trails Council Trail Steward.
- Littering on the course will subject you to disqualification.
- There will be space available to set up a personal tent/space near base camp. Priority space given to 24 hour racers.
- The race is located within Clinton State Park, so all vehicles will need a sticker for the day or a yearly pass. Stop at the Kiosk to obtain this. If you arrive prior to the kiosk opening, there is a self-pay station at campground 3 to obtain the parking permit. All vehicles must have this permit.
- Each time block will be capped at 50 runners.